Due to age, collagen production reduces and becomes frailer, making the skin loose and elastic. Microneedling, also known as collagen induction therapy, deals with the process in which hundreds of “microneedles” are staggered on the forehead. Simultaneously, it creates a tiny controlled puncture on the skin in which the injuries are produced to ignite the body’s innate healing process.
How Does Microneedling Work?
The purpose of microneedling is to encourage the skin to produce more collagen. The procedure works by creating pinpricks causing slight injury to the skin, as the skin responds by making new collagen-rich tissue. As a result, this new skin tissue is more even in tone and texture.
How Microneedling Helps With Forehead Wrinkles?
Microneedling can do wonders for the skin by retaining its smooth, youthful appearance. Hence, microneedling on the forehead will provide the following benefits:
- Reduces wrinkles on the forehead with few uses.
- Increases collagen and elastin production as the skin becomes more plump and youthful.
- Tights and rejuvenates skin on the forehead.
- Removes dead skin on the forehead so new skin cells will be formed.
What Are The Benefits of Microneedling?
Minimizes The Fine Lines And Wrinkles
Due to premature aging, fine lines and wrinkles make a person look older than the actual age. The slight injuries caused by microneedling stimulate collagen and elastin production, reducing the fine lines and wrinkles appearance.
Since microneedling boosts collagen and elastin production, it’s also effective in treating scars like acne scars. On the other hand, keloid or raised scar can’t be treated with microneedling.
Reduces Sun Damage Appearance
Minimizing the appearance of sun damage (for example, hyperpigmentation and age spots) is what microneedling can do. Suppose a person has blotchy, brownish skin with too much sun exposure. Since microneedling stimulates collagen production, this procedure can rejuvenate and even out the skin tone.
Fine lines and wrinkles don’t only present aging. With age, the skin loses its elasticity, making it look lax. The skin, with aging, may also have a dull appearance, and microneedling can alter this.
Microneedling punches tiny holes in the skin, but it doesn’t increase the size of the pores; instead, it helps shrink the pores. The area around the pores plumps after stimulating the collagen, making the pore almost disappear.
What To Expect From The Microneedling Procedure?
The preparation may include stopping the intake of certain medications, such as ibuprofen, and those for acne treatment (like Accutane) before the procedure. It’s also recommended to avoid using agents that may increase the skin’s sensitivity, including topical retinoids and exfoliants. Prior to the procedure, the doctor will apply a topical anesthetic for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour to the treatment area.
During the procedure, a doctor makes tiny pricks under the skin using a pen-like tool with tiny, sterilized needles. The pinpricks are so small that patients won’t likely notice them after the procedure. The doctor typically moves the device evenly across the skin so the newly rejuvenated skin will be even.
A doctor will apply a growth serum or calming treatment to finish the session. Overall, the average microneedling session lasts approximately 2 hours.
Who Should Not Receive The Microneedling Treatment?
An ideal candidate for microneedling is a healthy adult, but here are people who should not receive microneedling:
- Are you pregnant or nursing
- People with acne scars, chickenpox scars, and scars from surgery
- Those who have picked at pimples and scabs, creating scars and pits
- People with nasolabial wrinkles, as well as smokers and laugh lines
- Those with chest, neck, knee, arm, and hand wrinkles
- Those new scars (less than six months old) or using products with Retinoids or Vitamin A byproducts
What Are The Possible Side Effects Of Microneedling?
- Skin irritation and redness. Redness and skin irritation can be noticed in the first few days following the procedure. However, this is a natural response to the small “injuries” made by the needles in the skin.
- Minor pain. While a topical numbing agent helps control the “pokey” sensation during the procedure, some patients may experience minor pain afterward, and the skin may remain red for a few days.
- Infection. Although the needle holes are tiny, they are open wounds and can become irritated or infected. It’s best to keep the skin clean and avoid irritating lotions, swimming pools, gyms, and other possible exposure to infection.
- Skin discoloration. Some light or dark discoloration may occur, especially for people of color, but it’s usually temporary.
How Many Microneedling Sessions Does It Take to See Tightened Skin?
The number of treatments depends on two things; the first being the results aiming to attain, and the subsequent being which part of the body the treatment is to be done on. A few sessions of microneedling will strikingly reduce fine lines and deep wrinkles on the forehead. Depending on their condition, most wrinkles on the body may require 4 to 6 microneedling treatments to accomplish the tight, youthful-looking skin.
How Long Does Microneedling Last?
The microneedling results are based on the severity of the skin concern, its location, and the treatment plan used. As mentioned, a doctor may recommend four to six treatment sessions. The skin may continue to increase collagen production for 3 to 6 months after microneedling treatment.
What Does Recovery Look Like?
Since microneedling is a non-surgical procedure, recovery time is only minimal. Most people require minimal downtime if any at all. After most microneedling treatments, the essential aftercare instructions to keep in mind.
- Not to put any makeup on during the hours directly after the procedure.
- Some minor redness and sensitive areas may be expected after the procedure.
- Avoid exfoliating the skin with any scrubs.
- Wear sunscreen is a must for any aesthetic treatment the weeks after the system.
- Make sure to keep the skin hydrated by using hydrating lotion or serum.
- Wait for one week before exposing the skin to sunlight and harsh chemicals.
The sensitive skin will soothe and heal after a few days. The provider may also suggest medical-grade skincare with a serum to enhance the treatment as the skin will have a more significant outcome.
The Bottom Line
Microneedling is a minimally invasive treatment proven to rejuvenate the skin and reduce the unwanted appearance of forehead lines. My Face Lady offers Microneedling, a procedure that involves pricking the skin and inducing tiny wounds in the body, increasing collagen and elastin production. These two proteins assist in the healing of skin and give it a smoother, more youthful appearance.